You’ve looked at all the reasons why you really need to have a regularly updated blog on your website. You’ve decided to hire a professional writer for your blog. Here are 5 key skills to look for:
- Writing Skill – This may seem obvious but be sure to ask for samples of previous writing. A professional blogger should be able to write in a variety of styles. Maybe you are looking for a personal narrative style blog, or a list style (like this post) or a range of styles. Look for spelling and grammar as well as content.
- Content Management Skills – Most blogs nowadays use content management systems like WordPress. Your blogger should be familiar with how these work. Most bloggers have a working knowledge of HTML and CSS. This is useful to ensure that the content loads properly and is visually appealing. Basic photo editing is another skill to look for, you want the images you use to look their best when viewed online.
- Social Media Savvy – You will want to be able to share your content widely on social media. Most, if not all, bloggers will have a personal website and business social media accounts. If they don’t have these for their own business it is unlikely that they will be able to help you with yours.
- Originality – Content is great but it must be original. Not only is copying someone else’s content extremely bad form it also infringes on copyright and can get you into all sorts of sticky situations. Your blogger should provide copy that has passed Copyscape as original content.
- Reliability – This is something that is not limited to Blogging. Ultimately you need someone who will produce quality content on time, every time. Although most bloggers are outsourced when hiring it helps to think of them as an employee: Would you hire this person as a permanent member of your staff? If the answer is, ‘no’, you need to keep looking.