This page is boring, but it does contain important information to clients who supply me with audio, video or written files for transcribing, proofing and/or editing. I have kept this as brief as possible so please read on:
In the UK the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679 came into force on 25th May 2018. It’s purpose is to standardise the data protection laws across the EU and to protect Personally Identifiable Information. This scope of this regulation can be seen here and it will continue to remain in effect after Brexit.
Even if you are based outside the EU – as many of my clients are – it is necessary that I take steps to ensure the safety of data sent to me if it contains PII and that I only store that data for as long as is absolutely necessary for me to provide my service to you.
Your personal information:
I only maintain the information necessary to maintain communication with my clients, usually including but not limited to, a current email address. I will never pass your information on to a third party. I will delete any contact information immediately on request. Simply contact me via the contact page.
Your data files/What this means to you:
- All documents, audio, video files, etc., are stored on my password protected business computer in my home office.
- I recommend DropBox for data transfers but I will then directly download these, I do not store data on the Cloud. You retain responsibility for your files stored in your DropBox.
- All data is permanently deleted within 24 hours of receipt of final payment of it contains PII, if not it will be deleted after 7 days.
- Clients maintain all responsibility for files and information stored in the cloud, on file transfer systems, etc.
- I accept no liability for malicious hacking, cyber attacks, or client files contained in their own DropBox or other file transfer account, etc.
How this works in real life:
When I submit your files I will inform you of the date these files will be removed from my system. As a general guideline medical transcription files or, indeed, anything containing PII will be removed within 24 hours from the date final payment is received. All other files will be deleted 7 days following receipt of final cleared payment. Please check your files thoroughly and keep them safe – once they’ve gone, they’ve gone!
Q: What is Personally Identifiable Information?
A: Names, date of birth, email addresses – anything that can link the information back to a specific person.
Q: Can you retrieve deleted files if I need them?
A: No, the files will be totally and completely removed from my system.
Q: What if I subsequently lose my files?
A: If the deletion date has passed, sadly, you will have to resubmit the work and be charged as per a new contact.